Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Free screening of District 9

On Thursday evening we went to a free preview showing of District 9. I got the tickets from FilmMetro and they give out more tickets than there are seats to make sure the theater is full so it could happen that not everyone gets in. We planned on leaving when my husband got home from work but there was a really bad thunderstorm and I was too scared to go outside. After a while the storm started dying down and we decided to go and hope that the storm had put everyone else off so that we could get in. Traffic was horrific and it took forever to get there and I started to think that perhaps we would not get in.
We got there eventually and we were at the right theater (see my previous post on My Life In Ruins for details of one of our previous attempts). We went in and a man pointed us in the right direction. Well, the queue was horrendous. I thought for sure we wouldn't get to see the movie and even contemplated leaving there and then but we joined the line and surprisingly we got in. They stamp your hand and check your bag and wand you. I guess so you don't record the movie. I bet it is only a matter of time before they start doing that for regular screenings too.

We went in and picked our seats. I thought it would be more organised to just put everyone in seats in order of when you enter but no, they left it as a free for all. We ended up right near the front so my husband could hang his gigantic legs out the side and be a bit more comfortable.

It took a while to get everyone in so my husband kindly went to get drinks and popcorn. I didn't want him to whilst we were outside in case we didn't get in.

Finally, the movie started. I didn't really have any expectations of it. I just knew that aliens had landed on earth. I actually really enjoyed it. It was done documentary style which made it more interesting to me.

There was one rather surreal moment and that was maybe halfway through the film. We were all caught up in the movie and out of the corner of my eye I could see something moving on the floor. It took me a minute to fully understand what I was seeing but it was a really small child crawling across the floor. It freaked me out. I don't know where the kid went but it was a weird little moment that kind of made me think....did I really see that?

Anyway, not a bad movie at all. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment