Monday, June 8, 2009

My weekend

I had a very nice weekend. On Saturday we went to see the Terracotta Warriors exhibit which was very interesting and I would recommend anyone to go see it. I still can't believe that so many articles survived. Because we went on a Saturday afternoon it was really busy and I prefer to walk around exhibits at my own pace. You were a bit restricted because you had to basically queue behind people in order to read each description. There were two really annoying know it alls behind me who knew everything about everything and they were really loud so I skipped a few things in order to get away from them. We had a quick walk around the permanent exhibits but will go back another time so we can take our time. You couldn't take pictures in the Terracotta Warriors exhibit but we did get a pic of the dinasaur.

In the evening we went to Discovery Green to watch a documentary, Man On Wire, in the park. This film won an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature and after watching it I can say that it was well deserved. It was extremely engaging. Surprisingly so. I just found a brief synopsis of the film which seems to sum it up quite well.
August 7, 1974. A young French man named Philippe Petit stepped out on a wire suspended between the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. He danced on this wire for an hour with no safety net before he was arrested for what has become to be known as the "artistic crime of the century." Here is a link to the film's website http://www.manonwire.com/ Thankfully the humidity hasn't been as horrific as usual here this past week and there was a nice breeze so it made for a very enjoyable evening. Above is a picture of where we were.

Yesterday we went back to Discovery Green in the afternoon. They were having live music in the park. They do this every weekend so we will probably go again. It was a really nice day. The weather wasn't disgustingly hot so it was nice to sit out although I do have a bit of a pink face today. There was a farmers market but we got there just as it was closing so I would definitely like to go back again for that. They have a lot of different things going on throughout the week and from what I can see it is all free which is great because you can bring a picnic and make a whole day of it and it won't cost you an arm or a leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment